shabby background

Friday, June 3, 2011

My Most Inspirational Teacher

In the fall of 1985 I walked into Mrs. Kraft’s kindergarten classroom. I was a shy little girl with a curly head of hair. I was a momma’s girl back then and dreaded leaving my mom to go to school. Mrs. Kraft was a caring teacher who seemed to hate seeing me upset; not because my crying got on her nerves, but because my crying seemed to pull at her heartstrings. There is one memory that has always stuck with me. Just about every morning I would start crying because I missed my mom so much. Mrs. Kraft would go get me an cold carton of milk. That was the best milk I ever had; ice-cold, refreshing, and therapeutic. She would sit with me while I drank that milk. She had a comfort about her that made me feel safe and loved. I think I took one of her heartstrings with me on my last day of kindergarten because I have never forgotten her. Without her even knowing, Mrs. Kraft inspired me to become the teacher I am today. Like Mrs. Kraft left me with fond memories of days gone by, I long to leave my students with memories they will never forget. I long for my students to feel important, loved, cared for, and inspired; the same way my teacher of 26 years ago made me feel then and even today!

This is my kindergarten picture! :-)

Over the last few days I’ve had a desire to find my kindergarten teacher. I have already started an internet search and hope it will be easy. I would truly enjoy telling her the influence she left in my life, and how she’s inspired me to be a teacher that will be remembered always. Thank you Mrs. Kraft!

Sincerely,
Shawna

No comments: