shabby background

Saturday, December 31, 2011

When I'm Not Enough

It’s New Year’s Eve and I’m awake. I guess a lot of people are up preparing to celebrate the New Year, but here I am in a fairly quiet house-the cat’s eating food, Jackson’s sleeping peacefully in his crib, and Tim and Makayla are sleeping on the couch. I started reading information about the ‘She Speaks’ conference through Proverbs 31 Ministries and I just happen to stumble upon someone’s personal blog-I think I read her blog for over an hour and during that hour guilt of my inadequacies crept up on my shoulders. I’ve realized that as much as I pride myself on not taking things for granted, that I actually do…and on a daily basis. I am so ashamed for that.

I don’t tell Tim enough just how much he means to me, how much I adore him, how proud I am of him, how much I depend on him, and that he means the world to me in every way possible-He is my soul mate and my best friend, the person I love sharing all my thoughts and feelings with, the one I share all my worries and fears with, the one who picks me up when I fall, the one I share all my victories and happiness with. I have not told him these things enough. Tim, thank you for showing me love by holding my hand, going on evening walks, praying for me and with me, taking out the trash, folding laundry, letting me sleep in on Saturday mornings, being an encourager, loving me and all my flaws, cooking me perfect egg and cheese sandwiches, letting me be the sweet tea taste tester, listening to me, and believing in me. How did I ever get so lucky to walk life’s journey with you? You know my love language like no one else, and we are forever connected as one by God’s gracious love. You truly are my other half-I am complete with you, my love.

I don’t tell my mom and dad enough just what an impact they’ve made on my life. They’ve been there through thick and then, loved me through my rebellious days, and boy there were plenty of those; gotten me out of trouble, given me a shoulder to cry on, prayed over and for me, comforted me after bad dreams and circumstances, brushed my hair, showed me how to take care of a car, and taught me that family is most important. Not to mention those times when Mom filled up my pantry and refrigerator with food. And the many times Dad wanted to take my car for a drive, and then returned it with a full tank of gas. You both have cared for me and loved me unconditionally. I have not thanked you enough. Mom and Dad, you both are amazing people whom I will always adore.

I don’t tell my sisters enough just how much I need them. What can I say, out of all people you are the two that put up with me all those years growing up. Lol. The ones who loved me, said everything would be okay, gave me 2 baby showers, hugged me, supported me on my wedding day, wrote songs and poems with me, babysat for me so I could go on a date with my husband. Thanks for being the best sisters in the world. Summer and April, thanks for being such special friends to me. I don’t tell you enough how much I need you. I hope I will always show the same wonderful friendship to you as you’ve shown to me. Love you both.

I have to say that I’m constantly telling my kids how much I love and adore them, and how proud I am at each new milestone and accomplishment. I pray for them and over them, but I don’t pray with them enough. Although they are both very young (especially Jackson) I can still be an example to them and lead them in the way to pray so that hopefully one day they will feel comfortable in their own personal conversations with God. Makayla and Jackson, you two and your daddy are the angels in my life. Thank you for showing me such beauty in little things I take for granted-I pray that I will pray with you more and together we will have conversations with God. I love you both so much!

There are many other people on my heart as I write tonight- I just know that I need to take more time to love on these people-I need to be more intentional on making the people in my life feel special and loved. I pray that God will use my self-reflection tonight to help me slow down and show His love and light through my words and actions. My family is so wonderful and I couldn’t be more blessed. I am inadequate, not enough- but thankfully God’s grace is perfectly sufficient and I praise Him for that. “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” 2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments: