shabby background

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Prayers of Hope

Well this last week has had many ups and downs. My Aunt Joy was diagnosed with breast cancer about 5 years ago. Recently she learned it was back and spread to her liver, lungs, and chest. She has been through her share of pain over the years and it has been difficult witnessing that struggle. This week she was transported to the hospital by ambulance where she still is today. I pray for God to give her strength, comfort, and peace. God is our steadfast comforter. Our hope is that the Holy Spirit who dwells within us will bring comfort during trouble times. (John 14:15-17) 


My Dad fell at work a few weeks ago and injured his knee. He is feeling a lot of pain, and trying to fully recover. He is also hurting for his sister (Aunt Joy) and wants so badly for her to get better. I pray that he will feel the words God has laid before us: Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

My older sister Summer and her husband Joe had hoped to start a family soon. They recently learned that having children of their own may not be in God’s plan. However they remain hopeful for the One who performs everyday miracles will perform a miracle for them. Summer told me that she is reminded of Elizabeth in the Bible; God blessed Elizabeth with a child and we are reminded how nothing is impossible for God. I pray for their continued sense of peace in their hearts, and that they would find God’s grace in the everyday lives.  


My sister April and her fiancĂ© Scott are expecting a baby girl in January. We are all very excited to meet this precious angel sent from above. This week they learned that the baby has a medical condition which requires surgery right after birth, and a 4-6 week stay in the hospital. Naturally, my sister is scared, stressed out, and uncertain about the future. I pray that April and Scott will seek God in their times of emotional struggle. I pray they will find comfort in each other and feel God’s agape love through this journey. I pray for their little girl’s health as well. I know God’s love for His children is much more than our minds can comprehend, and He will take care of her. I know that God has a plan for this baby girl, a plan far greater than any of ours. Sometimes it’s hard to see the Big Picture when our world is so small. Scott and April haven’t decided on a name yet, but for now April is calling her Hope


I typically don’t publish these types of entries about my family on the internet, but it’s been on my heart to publish this blog entry regarding these specific things. I don’t want to sound like only sad things are going on because trust me there are also many wonderful things happening right now. But hurting people need prayers and my hope is that anyone reading this will lift up my family members in prayer. Also, pray for my mom as she feels the weight of all these issues right now. Please join me in prayer for each person written about; that they will feel God’s grace, goodness, mercy, joy, comfort, peace, and love. For there doesn’t have to be suffering for there to be grace…but where there is suffering, grace overflows. 


And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)

There is always hope with God. :-)
God Bless,
Shawna

p.s. I want to thanks several of my co-workers who have known what’s been going on over the last week. Every person has something going on in their life, and it’s important that we lift each other up. It was so special to me when several women greeted me at my classroom door with hugs, words of encouragement, and just to say they are praying for my family. Wow! I am blessed to work with them.

No comments: