shabby background

Friday, June 29, 2012

Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers

I've learned that I love to dabble in the kitchen when I have time. I'm a little obsessed with photography so photographing food is fun. I've been trying cook mostly fresh foods this summer, but I know that when school starts back it will be a challenge. Well, I searched high and low for a good veggie burger. I don't like the frozen ones that taste bland and heavy, and are filled with unnecessary  ingredients. I found a veggie burger recipe using sweet potatoes! I changed it up a bit and it turned out fabulous. Enjoy!

Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers
makes 7-8 large patties

2 cans cannellini white beans, drained
1 large sweet potato, baked/peeled/mashed (about 2 cups)
1 tbsp of hummus or tahini
2 tsp honey
1 tsp of mequite seasoning or any kind of "burger" seasoning you have
1 tsp of cumin
1 tsp of black pepper
1/4 cup wheat flour

salt to taste if needed

plentiful bread crumbs or Panko crumbs
oil for pan- you can use whatever kind you prefer

Directions:

1. Bake or cook sweet potato in microwave. Peel, place in large mixing bowl.
2. Add drained beans to mixing bowl. Use a hand mixer to combine beans and potato together.
3. Add all te oter ingredients and blend until tey are mixed together well.
4. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a pan over high heat.
5. Form a patty from mixture and coat in breadcrumbs. Then drop the patty in the pan. Repeat until the pan is filled. Cook until browned on both sides.
6. Transfer cooked patties to paper towel. Cool for a few minutes.
7. Serve on a toasted English muffin.  I added Vegenaise®, fresh spinach, tomato slices, onions, and avocado. It was simply delicious...well 'simply' is probably not the best word to use because there are so many flavors going on with this sandwich.

This recipe is adapted from Healthy Happy Life.
You can bake this too. Bake at 375 until golden brown. I think you will need to flip it.

First bite! :-)
Honestly I didn't need or want anything else to go with this veggie burger. No sides. It was filling by itself.

No comments: