shabby background

Friday, June 29, 2012

My Favorite Pick-Me-Up Snack

My favorite summer time snack is an apple. I love Gala, Braeburn, and Sonya apples the best right now. I'm sure that if I stopped by a farmer's market that I could find a new favorite. My kids love apples too. I can rarely eat an apple to myself because the kids come over for their bites. And what can beat an apple with fresh homemade peanut butter. Apples with peanut butter remind me of those delicious peanut caramel apples I would get at the fair as a kid. Homemade peanut butter is one of the easiest things to make in the kitchen. I was really happy when my husband told me that my peanut butter is better than any store bought peanut butter.


Homemade Peanut Butter

2 1/2 cups of unsalted peanuts
4 tablespoons of peanut oil. You can use whatever type of oil you have on hand.
2 tablespoons of honey
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
salt to taste

Directions
Place peanuts into a food processor. Turn on and let run until the peanuts are well ground. I leave mine with a little crunch. Pour in the oil. Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl and replace the lid. You will probably have to do that step several times With the food processor still on add the honey and brown sugar. Season with salt according to your taste.  Store the peanut butter in an airtight jar in the fridge.


One apple and about 2 tablespoons of peanut butter is a great pick-me-up snack; especially between meals when I'm hungry.It gives me just the amount of energy I need.

Happy Summer! :-)

No comments: